View Larger Map
We knew we were going to be hunting a ways from the roads and since the country is so amazingly steep (see pics below), we decided we wouldn't mind a little help packing in and out (especially if we got some animals). So, we all chipped in and rented Llamas. These easy to take care of animals were a God send and we'd rent them again anytime. They barely eat, drink, or make a fuss. Best of all, they can't hurt you like a Mule or a Horse. While not quite the Old West romantic vision of hunting off a horse, we were highly satisfied.
Over the course of the week, Josh got an elk and deer, Kahle got a deer, and I got an elk and a deer. That's a success we'll hardly be able to replicate in years to come. We hunted through some amazing country for which the pictures hardly do it justice.
The elk I got came on the very last morning when I found myself in the perfect place at the perfect time. I made a great (and long) shot on this beautiful animal. I'm always struck with emotion upon taking any living creature, but an animal of this magnitude in particular left me grateful and elated. After a moment of respect and adoration, the real work began!
While it still was an enormous amount of work to remove all the meat to be packed back to the trucks, we had the Llamas available to save our backs a little.

Already looking forward to next year!
Enjoy looking at the hunting pictures again and love the web sites of all the places and things we did Portland.
ReplyDeleteLove Always,
Bob & Vivian